Saturday 11 January 2020

Real beef for the growing medium


From Judy Weleminsky - blog no 2

My initial training was with BCG – the live vaccine, which is used to inoculate mostly young people. It can be grown in a containment level 2 lab which has some biosecurity and is suitable for moderate hazards but not too high as it is not dangerous to humans. BCG is an attenuated version of Bovine TB.


pippettes
 While I was trying to get my head around sterile techniques, using pipettes, calculating and measuring small amounts, using petri dishes, making the growing mediums used in the lab, and awaiting the time when my skills would be considered sufficient to work with live mycobacteria tuberculosis, I also wanted to make a start on the first steps in my research. So, I persuaded the lab to let me trial making growing medium according to Friedrich’s recipe.

Powder used for most culture medium

The growing media 

usually used in the lab is made from dry chemicals. However, Friedrich was clear that this would not work for growing mycobacteria tuberculosis over many years in the hope that it would produce the biproduct – Tuberculomucin – which is the therapeutic substance. I found that the idea of growing TB for long periods was completely against the grain of current microbiological work. Most of the work in the lab involved growing the bacteria for weeks not years! 


However, I got permission to trial making growing medium, starting with fresh minced beef. My professor thought about it and said – I’m ok with a little cooking in the department! I bought some lean mince from the local shop, assuming that this wasn’t something I could order through the provisions ordering system in the lab!

Mince beef before autoclaving

I soon found that working with real mince in a lab had its own logistical difficulties. Despite the comment about cooking by the professor, there are no cooking facilities in the lab. But there is an autoclave which uses heat and steam to sterilise liquids and equipment and therefore seemed a reasonable substitute for the instruction to boil the beef for two hours. I got training in how to use it, but I found the glass bottles which they use to contain the substance to be sterilised were very awkward containers for putting mince beef in and ever more difficult for getting it out! 




Autoclaved beef before and after straining

And filtering the liquid to get a clear bouillon was also a challenge given the large quantities Iwas attempting to produce and the tiny paper filters which took an interminable time to use. Eventually, I worked out ways of doing things but it was quite a learning curve. 


Filtered beef broth

I needed to add a number of chemicals to my bouillon and then adjust the pH to get it to 7.6 as specified by Friedrich and then autoclave it again to make sure it was sterile. Nonetheless I still had problems with bugs which weren’t supposed to be there.


But the positive thing was that the BCG was clearly happier growing longer term in my growing medium than it was in the usual lab formula – so a first tick for Friedrich’s directions and methods. However the BCG did not form a biofilm on the surface of the liquid and this was an important stage in recreating the Tbm as a biproduct.